Saturday, May 26, 2012

They seemed like a happy family...

Domestic Violence is an undercurrent in The Year of the Rabbit.  

Although Sera Fletcher, her mother or other family members were not victims of abuse, they experienced a ripple effect when the abuse next door presented a crossroad.  Sera's friend Victoria and her mother were spirited away to a safe location by the people who suspected a problem but did little to address the situation prior.  

Of all the people, young Sera is the most affected and sinks into a depression from missing her best friend.  At least near the end of the novel, readers encounter the theme of forgiveness and promise of a reunion. 

Perhaps it is a coincidence but I have noticed the subject of Domestic Violence showing up more often in the news lately.  Have you noticed it too?

99,000 Canadians reported family violence in 2010
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/05/23/ottawa-family-violence-canada-statscan-report.html

What keeps me hopeful is the fact that people are talking about it, raising awareness and even making efforts to educate others through art.  

As a survivor of domestic violence, I do as much as my anxieties will allow in raising awareness and educating.  I don't think I could bring myself to watch a ballet, play or movie on the subject though.  When I have tried, the imagery and sounds brought back bad memories. 

I invite you to read a bittersweet tale of Fate, Family and Forgiveness.  You can download a free copy of the Ebook before May 31st.  

Thanks for scrolling this far.  Feel free to submit relevant comments below and give feedback after reading The Year of the Rabbit.  

T


No comments:

Post a Comment